WHO WE ARE
Gun University is your place to learn about firearms. It’s that simple. We are a collection of professionals with one goal: to provide the best, most accurate, and HONEST information about firearms, shooting, and the outdoors. At GunUniversity.com, you’ll find gun reviews, articles that explain shooting concepts, firearms industry news, legal updates along with guides to learn about survival, concealed carry, the outdoors, hunting, and more!
Ryan is a former special operations sniper (1/75 Ranger) and current firearms attorney, firearms industry executive, university lecturer, and bestselling author of the Long Range Shooting Handbook. (Note: we’re amazed we got him to pick a favorite gun in each category).
- RifleBarrett MRAD
- HandgunSig Sauer P365
- ShotgunBeretta A400 Xcel Sporting Black
- Gun MovieThe Boondock Saints
- Sport/TeamNHL Hockey
- HobbyElk Hunting
Dave Chesson is prior Navy with a specialty in international arms dealing for the US government across multiple countries. Having traveled the world and abided by ATF and ITAR, Dave has a unique background in legal as well as practical capabilities of weapons deployment and use.
- RifleIWI Tavor X95
- HandgunHK p7
- ShotgunIWI TS12
- Gun MovieJohn Wick
- HobbyMaking fun of Ryan
- BookOld Man’s War
HOW GUN UNIVERSITY IS DIFFERENT
1. We are true gun guys and gals: Many of which are recognized subject matter expert in our field.
2. We tell you the truth about gun reviews: We have no problem letting you know if we don’t recommend a gun or product. Too often gun reviews only include how such and such product is the greatest new product ever (until the next review comes out) – that’s not us.
3. We don’t take advertisers: This allows us to accomplish the honest reviews above. Some companies send us free products to review – if that happens, we’ll ALWAYS let you know about it. If you’re a company that wants to send us a free product to review, here’s a warning: if it doesn’t perform, we’ll let you know and give you the chance to send us another one (sometimes early prototypes have problems) but the first sample’s performance will still be part of the review. If we buy the product with our own money, it only gets one chance.
4. We teach: In addition to the HUGE library of free content, we also offer professional online courses (we’re a university after all).
CHOOSE THE BEST WEAPONS, IMPROVE THEIR SHOOTING AND INCREASE THEIR KNOWLEDGE ON THEIR RIGHTS.
WANT TO JOIN THE TEAM?
Our promise to our readers starts with our team. If you want to write for us, and meet the below requirements, then let us know:
1. Must be a legit firearms expert in the field – not a hobbyist, or someone who ‘likes’ guns, but someone who’s known as an expert in the field
2. Must have a portfolio of writing under your belt – just because you can shoot, doesn’t mean you can write
OUR WRITERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
David is a longtime industry writer and editor who prefers the company of books, guns, bourbon, dogs, and horses (not necessarily in that order). The retired military and law enforcement veteran is the founder of BreachBangClear.com and an inveterate tabletop RPG nerd.
- HandgunGlock 19
- ShotgunSAI Benelli M2
- MovieThe Outlaw Josey Wales
- SportWatching the KC Chiefs
- Hobby1/6 Scale Kitbashing
- BookChivalry by Christian Cameron
Kyle is a retired special operations Sergeant Major, nationally recognized firearms trainer, author, owner of VikingTactics.com, and host of the Team VTAC podcast.
- RifleAny AR15
- HandgunRuger Mk2
- ShotgunBenelli Ethos 20
- MovieJeremiah Johnson
- BookTeddy Roosevelt’s Hunting Writings
Travis is a former United States Marine Corps infantryman and current firearms writer and instructor. He works in Emergency Management.
- ShotgunBenelli M4
- HobbyVideo Games/D&D
- MovieDirty White Boys
Joel Wise has a law enforcement background which later turned into security consultant for non-profit organizations. He spent the better part of a decade as a firearms instructor. Currently, he is a writer, videographer, and competitor in the precision rifle industry. He owns the Precision Rifle Network.
- RifleAccuracy International AT
- HandgunSig P365 or Glock 19
- ShotgunBrowning A5
- MovieLord Of The Rings
- HobbyPhotography and Hunting
- BookThe Bible
Learning how to shoot at a young age in the Boy Scouts, David now spends most of his time working on or with firearms. Be it shooting, upgrading, building, tinkering, or writing about them, sharing his passion and knowledge of firearms with others is an everyday occurrence.
- RifleTerminus Zeus
- HandgunBeretta 92FS
- ShotgunFN Browning Auto 5
- HobbyNRL22 and PRS
- BookDarth Bane Trilogy
Caylen Wojcik is a former USMC Scout/Sniper, internationally recognized long range shooting instructor, author, co-host of the Modern Day Sniper Podcast, and is an accomplished backcountry hunter. He has been teaching people how to shoot rifles for over 20 years.
- RifleI’m an equal opportunist when it comes to rifles…
- HandgunGlock 19
- MoviePoint Break
- SportI don’t do sports sarge….
- Hobbyfamily, skydiving, mountain hunting, alpine climbing
- BookGates of Fire, Steven Pressfield
Jens “Rex Nonorum” Hammer
Life is an adventure for Alaskan expat Jens Hammer-a.k.a. Rex Nanorum. He’s a combat veteran with the 2nd Bn, 75th Ranger Regt and has completed 5 tours between Afghanistan and Iraq. Now, Rex is a certified helicopter pilot instructor, salvage diver, commercial fisherman, and personal trainer. And Gun University contributor.
- RifleNoveske Ghetto Blaster
- HandgunGlock 43x
- ShotgunRemington 870
- SportNFL–San Francisco 49ers
- BookWithout Remorse by Tom Clancy
“Graham Baates” is a pen name used by a 15-year active Army veteran who spent most of his time in the tactical side of the Intelligence community including tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. Post-Army Graham spent some time in the 3-Gun circuit before becoming a full-time NRA Certified defensive handgun instructor and now works as an industry writer while curating a YouTube channel on the side.
- HandgunGrand Power K100
- ShotgunGenesis Arms Non NFA
- HobbyGuns, of course!
- BookThe Man Without a Face by Markus Wolf
Justin is a former MARSOC Marine, former government contractor, former special operations instructor, current student of paramedicine, author of digital security books, and blogger at SwiftSilentDeadly.com. Justin prides himself on being a generalist with a heavy emphasis in firearms and their employment.
- RifleBCM Recce-14
- HandgunNighthawk Custom T3 9mm
- ShotgunWilson Combat Border Patrol 870
- MovieHell or High Water
- SportShooting, of course!
- HobbySAR Team Member
- BookThe Stuff of Thought
Ross du Preez
Ross is a content strategist, writer and prepper who believes that his pen is as much of a weapon as any firearm. He practices mental agility and toughness, sustainable physical readiness, sound spirituality and real connectedness. When he’s not shooting, writing, or investing in his family, he’s putting his heart and soul into an Emergency Medical Services unit where he occupies a senior role.
- RifleM&P Sport 2
- HandgunGlock 19
- ShotgunBeretta 1301 Tactical
- MovieLone Survivor
Ben is a U.S. Army veteran with 16 years of service under his belt. While in the Army, Ben eventually became a Small Arms Instructor and a Small Unit Tactics Trainers. Through his experience behind the trigger, he enjoys teaching others how to improve their proficiency on the gun and their confidence for when it counts. Most importantly though, he is a Christian, husband, and father of 5.
- RifleAny AR15
- HandgunM&P M2.0
- ShotgunWinchester Model 37
- Gun MovieOpen Range
- HobbyBlade Smithing
- BookThe Dichotomy of Leadership
coldboremiracle is a self-taught “Freelance Sharpshooter” based in the Rocky Mountains. A true gun nut at heart, but has a passion for precision shooting particularly as it applies to hunting. When not at home or work, he is more than likely behind a riflescope in the high country evaluating the wind for the next shot.
- RifleDesert Tech SRS M2
- HandgunSig P226
- BookThe complete works of Pat McManus
Jeffery H. Haskell
Jeff learned to shoot on a Ruger MKII at the tender age of 6 and didn’t look back. He joined the Army looking for adventure and planned on spending his life in the military. When that didn’t work out he turned to journalism and writing and hasn’t looked back. He’s the author of several best selling military sci-fi novels along with other works. Most of his time he spends dedicated to his wife and five kids, and occasionally squeezes some shooting and flying time in.
- RifleFN SCAR
- HandgunFN Five-Seven
- ShotgunBenelli M4
- HobbyFlight Simms
- BookStarship Troopers
Thank you for your interest in Gun University. We are honored to connect with you and see how we could be of service. Please know we do our best to respond in a timely fashion, so thanks in advance for your patience. Keep learning, serving, and shooting! CHEERS!